10 July 2009

Lovers On Lovers (pegasus)

she was hiding on the hill
and I indulgent in my hell
a pair of broken lovers
at last enticed into the open
by the ancient rains approaching

we danced into the monsoon
writhing against the musk
ignited by the thunderclaps
and whispers to the moon
our betrothal sealed in honeyed moans

our incantations made toys of time
and in a lone enchanted night
our nest and line of kings and queens
were redeemed and baptized
in the tempest's pregnant eye

at the blinding advance of joy
I gave into my trembling
and struck a bargain with my shadow
and like a frothing animal
turned mad against my own

like a heroic Joan
she stood, in love, upon the pyre
as I tore apart her wedding dress
and dashed fruit from the orchard
she swore she'd never raid again

when I think back on her figure
naked, cast into the splinters
I'm haunted by my heirs of flame and ghost
and the compassion in her tender eyes
and know I lost the war

No comments:

Post a Comment